Monday 13 April 2009

'Far from the frenzy of the frantic world above...'

Most of the Disney films of the 70s remind me of going to the ABC Cinema in Cambridge in the school holidays – of arriving to see a queue unravelling around the block and around the next corner, and hoping as passionately as you can when you're 5 that we would be safe when the cinema manager brought his arm down through the line of people, like a guillotine, dividing us into those who would get in and those who wouldn't; of my mum's 'cinema' glasses which she never wore at any other time.

Approximately 30 years on, I can remember the pattern on the skirt Mrs Jones was wearing when we went to see Bambi as I spent so long with my face buried in it, sobbing hysterically.

Anyway, today on the telly: Bedknobs & Broomsticks. Angela Lansbury, David Tomlinson, Cockernee children, innocuous 1940s swearing ('You've won the ruddy cup!'), talking fish in evening dress, and this… 

No comments: