Wednesday 27 May 2009

Dissent on the 9.25

This morning I saw this on the wall of the train carriage – not so much graffiti as agit-decoupage.


It is a triumph of grown-up cut-and-paste. Whoever was responsible for customising a harmless Wicked theatre poster had taken quite a lot of trouble to print out the word Wankers in special 'Wicked' font; find the right pictures of Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling, with heads tilted the appropriate way; tint Brown's face green; make everything just the right size to match the original. I was so impressed I have had to break out the semi-colons, which is unusual indeed.

I genuinely have no idea if this spoof is an old gag, if everyone else has already seen it on some kind of viral email. Have they? But even if this is the case, the perpetrators had still taken the time to craft it, and wile away their journey from East Croydon to London Bridge or similar cutting bits of paper out and brazenly making use of a Pritt Stick.

In my bovine morning state, it took me a while to notice it wasn't actually the real poster. The clue that gave it away was that – ha! - Alistair Darling is coming unstuck.

4 comments:

Zaki said...

I haven't seen it before. May God have vengeance of the perpetrators of this vile lampoon.

miss w said...

Slightly off topic, but... you know that Alisdair Roberts song you gave me? The Whole House Is Singing? There's a line in that where he's mooning around after his girlfriend and it goes, 'But she shrugged me away and said "Alisdair, darling..."'

Or, to my ears, 'But she shrugged me away and said, "Alistair Darling..."' - becoming the old story about the humble folk singer dumped for the Chancellor...

Miss Jones said...

Ha! There is another great track on the album which is a protest song about why filling out a tax return is so complicated for the working musician. It always makes me well up.

biddledown said...

Poster Boy?

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/26296445@N05/2945017196/